.

A look at Georgia, politics and Fayette County from one of those rare young folks who grew up in Fayetteville and actually returned to start a family

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rough day at the office

High school football is about to begin. I'm as excited as anyone in the county and I can't wait until Sandy Creek travels to Goza Road Friday night to take on the Whitewater Wildcats -- or, actually, I couldn't wait until a few events transpired today.

In an effort to play up the rivalry and get fans excited, I published a picture of a banner hung this week at Sandy Creek, supposedly by Whitewater students in the Thursday Fayette County News. It read, "On Friday night, We bury you." The 'W' in 'we' looked like a Whitewater logo. The banner referenced the infamous 'Wildcat Casket' that Creek fans snuck into last year's game. I published the image with good intentions. It included a cutline to explain the context and I wrote a story about the rivalry.

Well, I got a couple of angry phone calls today. A coach and administrator have accused me of being a fan of the other team, completely biased and have even suggested that my sports page is going to start a riot. Take a look at the paper and let me know if you find it offensive. I'd also be curious to see if you can guess what team's coach and administrator were infuriated by the thing. I didn't see it as one-sided at all. Needless to say, I won't be publicizing any more student pranks in the Fayette County News. Even if you and I think it's all in good fun, others aren't going to see it that way.

And it sure would be nice to get a call from a coach or administrator when we do something they like or appreciate -- like, say, get photos and write-ups about their actual children in the newspaper. Just saying.
I'm pretty flabbergasted by the outrage. Even more now that I've had the chance to sit on it for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment